Monday, November 22, 2010

A close call


Friday night I layed on the couch still recovering from my surgery. Tristan was happy scooting on the floor. I had just vacuumed so I wouldnt have to worry about him eating things off the floor. He scooted over to me by the couch and the next thing I knew he had his head tipped sideways and his chest was heaving. He wasnt making any noise but I knew right away he was choking. I jumped up and grabbed him so fast I gave him a carpet burn on the side of his face but he didn't cry out in pain. I stuck my finger in his mouth trying to feel whatever it was and sweep it out but there was nothing. By this time he was turning blue and I began to panick, but suddenly something else took over. I have not been trained in the hymlic since before I had Abby. (6 years ago) but I just started doing it. I flipped him on his tummy and started doing back compressions and then flipped him back to do front thrusts. I had no clue if I was doing it right but after 15-20 HORRIFYING second of doing it Tristan took a breath. I stuck my finger in his mouth frantickly and out came a penny. I took a breath I didn't know I was holding but my relief didn't last long because now Tristan was screaming. He was screaming like I had never heard him scream before and I was so worried I had done something wrong. I called 911 and moments later paramedics arrived. They checked Tristan out and suggested they take him by ambulance to primary childrens. They worried I had broke some ribs and were afraid if the break was bad enough that it would puncture his lung. So off we went. For the first 5 min they drove with the lights off and Tristan began to be his normal self pulling off his oxygen and trying to eat it. But suddenly he became very lathargic and went to sleep. They were unable to arrouse him. So on the lights went and the atmosphere changed from relaxed and joking to panicked. As we arrived at the hospital Tristans eyes flew open. I once again breathed a sigh of relief. The rest was very calm. After xrays it was determined that Tristan only had bruised ribs and was completely fine and just flat out pooped from the whole ordeal. We left hours later snuggleing our baby boy. I can not even put into words how grateful I am that my baby boy is still alive. The paremedics said that 9 times out of 10 they arrive to a very different scene on these kind of calls. They made it clear that had I not acted so quickly Tristan would have been gone in a matter of minutes. I am just SO thankful that whatever training I was able to recall suddenly popped into my head right at the right moment. There is no doubt in my mind that the holy ghost was guiding me and there is no doubt in my mind that without that guidance my baby boy would not be here today.



The stuffed animal the hospital gave Tristan


The penny that almost took my babys life.

6 comments:

jake.shalise said...

Oh my goodness I'm so happy to hear that he is fine! That's my number 1 fear with kids I'm so dang scared of a baby choking. What a comfort to know you were both being watched over! I'm so happy your both alright!

Adrienne said...

This almost made me cry. I am so thankful that he is alive and well. I am also so thankful that you acted to quickly. You are a great mother!

Shay said...

That is such a blessing that he is ok. Good job! You are such a great mom. That is one of my biggest fears and I'm also afraid that I won't know what to do.
I just read your other post and I am so sorry that you miscarried! I'm sure that has been hard and the surgery doesn't sound like much fun either!

sweetieabbott said...

Oh my goodness! I am so happy that this story had a happy ending! It is amazing the blessings and help that comes from our Heavenly Father.

Dawn said...

Your such a great Mom! So proud to say your my Daughter!

ccjo1298 said...

so happy he,s alive keep me posted and thanks for telling me about your wonderfu life and near fritting excprince. I know that you dont know me but i fin whats been going on wonderful scary and happy love ccjo1298-schooltime.blogspot.com